Sunday, August 8, 2010

The last six months of my life...


When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it... so says Paulo Coelho...








Ever since I was in my teens, I had this incessant desire, a fervour unstoppable, towards living all by myself, towards seeking a responsible independence on my own. But this was a very very implausible dream till few months ago. Till, I came to Chennai...








A friend of mine the other day, observed a newly gained confidence in the way I acclimatized myself to this city. It instantly dawned upon me that it has been six months of living alone in Chennai. Six, fruitful... joyful...memorable months. What is it about living alone? The thrill...the independence...the learning curve or the responsibility that you undertake upon yourself? I would say a fragment of all.








It was February 13, 2010 when I landed here in Chennai, not having much of an idea as to what lay ahead. As the doors of the airport opened ajar, I contemplated for a moment of turning back and boarding the next flight to Kolkata, thanks to the gush of hot air archetype of the city that hit me instantly. I gave myself a hard knock and said "Welcome to Chennai".








My first day rocked perfectly, thanks to my friend, I was almost set. My first fridge...an apartment that I could call my own...my first gas connection...it just seemed to be perfect. I could sense my new found wings, a feeling of freedom that gripped me firmly as I embarked upon a new beginning. Over the last few months, there have been many learning while being on the move. There have been moments galore that I can go on citing and cherishing throughout my life.








Let me begin with my culinary skills...I have been blessed with parents and sister who have these magic wands. I do not know what they exactly do, but they get into an area called "kitchen" and stir up things that smell painfully enticing. Painful, 'coz it automatically stretches the elasticity of my stomach. Thanks to them, I never had to bother to step inside the kitchen. The scene at Chennai, the first time I offered my friend to have dinner at my place, he ended up cooking it himself :). Post that, every time he came to my place, he came in with an expression that would almost pop out of his face and would read "I am full". 6 months of staying alone, 6 months of constantly and innovatively coming up with half cooked, tasteless, burnt meals...made me sit up and say "hello" to the kitchen. Things look a lot more tasty now. Being a native of Kolkata, I never knew what water scarcity was all about, 2 days of zero water in Chennai, whoaaaa, I picked up on valuing the bare necessity.








Interestingly, I just started valuing my own self more. Like, keeping a guarded watch on the core essentials my life is surrounded by, learning to enjoy moments alone - be it grabbing a meal, catching up on a movie or aimlessly striding down the road. I have learnt to keep a hawk like eye on my expenses and reprimand everyone who carelessly messes with my abode, in short, I have learnt to grow up to be a more responsible human being making attempts at having a joyful ride. It is these little little things that you pick up on your way that makes life such a treat. But then, happiness always comes along with a shade of cloud, which sometimes overshadows the happy element.












'Coz, when you are living away from your family, it does feel lonely to enter an empty house at the end of the day...






















12 comments:

  1. Good to watch a process of contentment. Should celebrate 6 months in the city I say.. in all binge friendly ways we can.

    B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its not like that you have come to and are living in Chennai for the first time. You did you schooling here. You know people here. You have friends here. You know the language a bit. As far as I know, you are not one of those Amit-types who keep cribbing about Chennai weather and food. Considering all of the above, I think living in Chennai should not be a problem. Of course, living all alone is a tad difficult, as I have also experienced it. - Karthik

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Baidik, sure we must celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Karthik, who is this Amit by the way? And yes, I have nothing to crib about Chennai, I love the city and like being here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe. Amit is a satirical description of a typical North Indian who hates anything that is south Indian and keeps cribbing about the heat (as if it snows in Delhi in April/May), about people here not eating rotis/ chappatis, about the lack of good looking girls, about the use of tamil by the people here and a lot more. Read http://krishashok.wordpress.com/glossary/ for more details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, Karthik, 1st of all, are you among those who believe that everything that is not part of south is north? There are other directions like east and west for God's sake !!! It is so annoying when someone calls me a North Indian, 'coz I am not ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha. I have too many Bengali friends that it would be too foolish on my part to believe that anything that is not part of south is north. So relax. My comment was made in a lighter vein. Anyways, when are you treating me??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karthik, you were supposed to plan a reunion, what happened to that? And treat, lemme know

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your culinary skills! Lets talk about the khichdi. Hope we contributed a little to your 6 months life in Chennai :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Princess Bhavana :)Khichdi probably is the easiest dish around. And you guys contributed wonderfully, the night outs, the giggles, the masti that 4 of us had...never to forget our dinner at cream centre :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I echo ur last sentence ABSOLUTELY. I feel so uncanny/uneasy after dusk. thot its wrong wid me but now i c its just NATURAL

    ReplyDelete